Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Savageman...Savage Man!




  • barbarous: (of persons or their actions) able or disposed to inflict pain or suffering; "a barbarous crime"; "brutal beatings"; "cruel tortures ...
  • feral: wild and menacing; "a pack of feral dogs"
  • attack brutally and fiercely
  • a member of an uncivilized people
  • barbarian: without civilizing influences; "barbarian invaders"; "barbaric practices"; "a savage people"; "fighting is crude and uncivilized especially if the weapons are efficient"-Margaret Meade; "wild tribes"
  • criticize harshly or violently; "The press savaged the new President"; "The critics crucified the author for plagiarizing a famous passage"
  • beast: a cruelly rapacious person
  • ferocious: marked by extreme and violent energy; "a ferocious beating"; "fierce fighting"; "a furious battle"

That is what I found so I could explain better the Half Ironman I did this week end!
Now I know why people always want to go back...It was so challenging , fun , brutal... but like everyone else I can't wait for the next one!
I swam like ...a fast turtle ! witch is for me not fast enough, I have a hard time with the boxing match at the start of the swim and until I can swim alone my heart rate is through the roof . Getting out of the water I heard after the race that I looked tired...hhhhhmmmmm.

Got on the bike, it was like sitting in my living room I felt at home...At that point I was 10 min behind Susan William the winner of the race ( she swam like a dolphin!). The first part of the bike was fast and technical. At the 20 miles mark or so you came to the WALL a 100 m at high % and if you can make it you get a brick with your name on it at the top. I got my brick. The next 7 miles was...uphill. There is a competition with in the race for that next 7 miles.
The entertainment on the climb was great with signs like" how's your aero helmet serving you now?" or " triple cranks for sale 400$ " or " who was laughing about that triple?" ...

I was going good and thought that I was going to get that fast time...but again Susan climbed so fast I couldn't beat her time and was 2nd a min back. I forgot to tell you that when I got out of the water and ran to the transition, my bike was the only one left in the PRO section...Oppsss. When I can in from the bike, only Sue's bike was there! so I was happy about my ride a 2h55 for a 56 miles with almost 6000 feet of climbing

Now the fun part: Running 21km (or 13.1 miles for my friends American!) after a swim and a hard bike ride? Well let me tell you that I got cramps after 3 miles and got past by 3rd place...I manage to keep running, eating bananas, drinking water and gatorade with little salt pills but my run was far from what I can do and I know it.
In the end I am very pleased with the experience of my first half..

Huge thanks to the Devil on the hills that cheered for me, the organizer, my friends and the new one's, Tara for the encouragement through the run, wild Bill and his wife, the Ottawa guys who cheered me too every time we crossed...
thanks for the amazing area that we raced in , the sun and the 70 degrees water and ohhhh the french fries at the finish, the ice cream and the pork sandwiches! taste them all!

up next : Mayor's Cup Sept 26th Boston Criterium
VT 50 mountaint bike 27th of Sept

Oct 3-4 Cyclocross Gloucester, MA
Oct 10-11 Cyclocross Providence
Oct 18th First ever marathon Toronto!!






2 comments:

Saint-Gervais son said...

Lyne,

Nice job! The wall sounds interesting. But if you like a challenge you don't have to go all the way to MD.

Next August 21st think D2R2 170k, Deerfield, MA,...It'll be "your kind of fun"!

http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/randonnee.html

Unknown said...

Bravo, faut pas s'en faire pour la nage ma 1ere course (en mer) j'ai finie nagant en petit chien car je n'etait plus capable d'avaler de l'eau!! l'annee d'apres j'ai finie mi peloton!
je suis pa inquiete que l'an prochain la tortue va allez vite!!
xoxox